Monday, August 4, 2008

And Then There Was One.....



Can we actually be a one dog house? It feels very strange here. Having only one dog bowl to be filled for breakfast and dinner does not seem right at all. I guess I have to get used to it though. It’s the norm now. No meds to be given to anyone, hound or human, before and after meals. It’s been at least 10 years since the critters in my house were totally med free. Starting with my now departed Casey cat and her tapazole for hyperthyroid, someone has always needed something. I’ve felt like a pusher for the last few years between Sugar’s pain meds and Speedy’s heart drugs. Although trying to get two dogs to take a handful of pills each, some before and some after meals, and at assorted times throughout the day was somewhat of an ordeal, I feel kind of lost and empty with out the routine. Maybe I just feel lost without my two pups!! Their bowls and beds have been put away, as well as the ex-pen that has been set up in the family room for Sugar for the last several months. The house looks much neater, and somehow very empty.

Rosie has missed her buddies really more than I thought she would. Speedy and Sugar were very much a bonded pair. Even though Rosie played with them, and seemed to like them, she really always thought they were oldsters who couldn’t keep up with her. She’s been very subdued for a couple of days, and still obviously looks for them at times. She must be as lonely for them as I am.






Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

After reading your past posts, it's understandable that Rosie wouldn't be the only lonely one in your home.
Watching two move over the Bridge in one day is more than one can handle.
I'm very sorry for both of your losses.
It seems, they're together beyond the end.

Lolo

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

Zan, you definitely need another when the time is right. My sister wasn't in a hurry either, so she has been fostering for the last couple of months. Might be a good way to ease back into a new one. I'm trying to decide if we are a 5 or 6 dog household right now.

Jen

Zan said...

You're right Jen - I defiantly need another one...soon...just not yet. Fostering may be the ticket. Good for the hound and good for us!! I don't think most of us ever really know what number of dogs is right for our households. In my case though, I'm pretty sure it's more than one..:-)!!

Heather said...

Zan - I am so sorry for your losses. I've been so behind in my reading lately due to my horrible business travel schedule. How heartbreaking for you and Rosie too. I agree with Jen, fostering may be good for everyone - you, the foster and Rosie. Boy I love that Rosie's nose. Hugs to all in your house.

Zan said...

Thanks Heather. I'm starting to feel less bruised inside and a little more like myself. I have to say I agree with you about my little Rosie's nose. Just want to kiss it!