Wednesday, November 11, 2009

No Needles for the Needle Nose....At Least Not Today....



Nick and I set off this morning for our appointment with Dr. Tracey Sasher at Loving Touch Animal Center. As I mentioned yesterday, I went expecting acupuncture as a pain management tool. After taking a look at Nick, she thinks we may be able to rehab him so that he can maybe even lure course again. I’d totally given up on the idea and had only hoped to be able to manage his pain without regular use of non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs. I can’t stand to let him be in chronic pain if there’s anything I can do to avoid it though. She did adjust his back. The adjustment, as well as all the excitement and new experiences left him pretty tired though and he’s spent the afternoon sacked out on his bed. She also suggested some herbal supplements in addition to the fish oil, and glucosamine/MSM/chondroitin combo he’s already taking and also told me where to get a carpal brace for him to wear at times. She felt that though acupuncture wouldn't hurt him, my doggie healthcare dollars could better be spent elsewhere. You've gotta appreciate advice like that!



We’re going back next week for a rehab evaluation. She’ll measure the range of motion in his leg joints, and a will formulate a rehab plan that will likely include, swimming, exercises at home, and some message techniques. They have a tank with a tread mill where he can walk in the water, and eventually swim. The hope is to improve his muscle strength so that he compensates for the damage he did to his carpal joint. I feel like I got a Christmas gift early. I expect there’ll be a lot of work in this for both of us, but I’m really excited about getting started. I really wish I’d found Dr. Sasher sooner. Though she won’t replace my regular vet, I hope that she’ll be a great complementary resource.

6 comments:

KF-in-Georgia said...

My 9-year-old greyhound recently had a quick acupuncture treatment (15 minutes). Afterwards, he seemed to be moving slowly, and I wondered how helpful the treatment had been. But later that night, he was curling up cat-tight when he got cold, so he clearly was more limber. And then I realized that his slow moving was a "symptom" of how well he felt after his treatment: I think he was feeling all rubber-kneed good.

Hoping for good results for Nick...

Alex said...

I hope you will keep us posted.
I am also interested to hear your opinion of the herbal supplements.

Sam said...

Just read your last post about Nick and his injury, and I'd say it's absolutely great news that the doc thinks he may even be able to course again. Good luck. I hope you'll update again.

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

I look forward to hearing about Nick's rehab exercises. I find it facinating.

Zan said...

I'll definitely keep you guys posted. Jen, you're the lady with the experience with this stuff. Katie is a wonder!! Advice and suggestions are certainly appreciated!!

She's talking about starting him off walking on a water treadmill and maybe adding cavalettis and other obstacles as well as some swimming. I'm interested in what she'll tell me to do with him at home as well. I'd thought about swimming him and in fact made a couple of forays to N. GA over the summer and had him do some lake paddling. I feel like I need specific direction though as I don't want to do more harm than good. I'm hoping that's what I'll get w/o totally breaking the bank.

She did say one of her goldens had a similar injury and that after about a year of rehab he went on to compete and do well. I'm really just hoping for a relatively pain free old age with minimal drugs.

Life With Dogs said...

It sounds like you are getting good, honest advice. That alone is worth a lot. Here's hoping for the best possible outcome...