Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Memorial Day Weekend Plans

Speedy, Sugar, and I are going coursing Saturday, probably for the last time before next fall. It just gets too hot for the hounds in the dead of summer – especially in Georgia!! In reality, only Rosie will be running, but Speedy and Sugar already have their duds packed; they are planning a nice day in the country. Sugar plans to nap in the expen, in the shade, in front of her fan. Speedy will do the same, only he will be wistfully watching the festivities while staring at me with those big eyes designed to make me feel guilty. You see, I never took him coursing when he was young enough to safely run. Unfortunately, at almost 11, he has a heart murmur and some sort of orthopedic issue with his hips. Even absent those issues, he’s really to old to run a course of around 900 yards at top speed. He is very interested in the lure though and I truly wish I’d discovered how much fun lure coursing is for both hound and human when he was young enough.

Sugar on the other hand, shows absolutely no interest in chasing a plastic bag. She’s much too smart for such things. She does enjoy reclining on her soft bed in the shade though while the others “play their silly games!”

Sugar’s pain is now pretty well controlled and she is eating well. She feels good has even joined in a play session or two with Speedy and Rosie. I’m felling pretty good about her now.

Sunday we'll cook out at my friend Jenny's house to celebrate all of our birthdays. Can you believe Wheeler, Rob, and I all have May birthdays. Here's a couple of pics from Wheeler's birthday. He turned 14 on the 8th and will be in high school next fall. Wow!!



Posted by Picasa

No comments: