Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Six Weeks in Jail, Grrr!!!


Sugar is beginning week six in jail. OK, not real doggie jail...she was put on crate rest by the wonderful vets at Auburn Vet School. Sugar has been suffering with neck/back pain since September. We thought she had slipped another disc - she had surgery to correct two herniated discs in her neck a year and a half ago. After a MRI, spinal tap, and a bunch of blood tests, no slipped discs. No cancer either. Yeah!!

OK, then why is my dog screaming in pain. I mean don't get me wrong, I'm very, very happy that my dog doesn't have cancer, or some exotic infectious disease, but we've got to do something about the pain. I don't mean an occasional whimper, I mean screaming. The only thing they turned up was an elevated titer to neospora which is apparently a parasite associated with cows. Now how did my dog, a city dweller, pick up a cow parasite? Anyway, it can cause spinal pain so maybe that is her problem. Unfortunately, the pundits at the afore mentioned vet school are unsure as she only showed a very low positive titer. Suggested crate rest and some antibiotics to see what happens.

Five weeks later the pain is better, but only if she stays in the expen and takes a bunch of pain meds. Waiting to see if new blood tests show any change in her neosposa titers after the round of antibiotics.

Meanwhile, Sugar wants to know where she can pick up a get out of jail free card. She does see certain advantages. Rosie can't steal her stuffies and she gets extra treats and scritches, but enough is enough already!!!!

No comments: