Monday, December 15, 2008

It was a Mommy Kind of Weekend


I spent this weekend doing mom stuff. Wheeler had a wrestling tournament that lasted all day Saturday. His school was hosting so, of course, we had volunteer duties. I agreed to a three hour shift at the door. We charge a small admission, just enough to cover the costs of putting on the tournament. What amazed me were the excuses I heard from people trying to get out of paying to get in. “I just want to come watch my kid wrestle. Do I have to Pay?” Well duh, I don’t think there are tons of attendees that aren’t here to watch someone. “I only have a $100 bill, can you break it?” Lady, this is a high school wrestling meet, no, I don’t have ton of change. I started the day with $50 in ones. Eventually, I’ll have change, but not first thing in the morning. Now bear in mind that most of the people complaining were carrying cups of coffee that cost more than our paltry admission fee. They didn’t seem to have a problem with paying for that.

Door duty also makes you the complaint department. One lady harangued me because the sign pointing the way to the tournament was not big enough. There was a sign on the door that said “Wrestling” as well a much larger sign indicating the gym building. Call me crazy, but even if I missed the small sign on the door, I’d probably look in the gym before say, one of the classroom buildings. The school’s not that big anyway. Even without any signs, close your eyes and listen for the sounds of ref whistles.

Truly, those whiners were the minority. I really love door duty because I get to meet and talk to lots of folks.

All in all, it was a good day. Wheeler wrestled well and no one got hurt. Sorry, no pics though. He made me promise not to post one as he says he looks like a dork in a singlet. News flash Wheels, so does everybody else - but they are better than the Speedos the swimmers have to wear.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, but if it were not for the whinners we would not have anyone to make fun of :) that is my theory anyway.

Patti said...

Hey, tell Wheeler to look at where wearing a Speedo got Michael Phelps! :) The ole singlet can't be all that bad! I remember (back in the day) thinking they were kinda cool.

Glad to hear he did well and without injury. It's as scary watching wrestling as it is lure coursing, isn't it?

Zan said...

BrittBeah - My thoughts exactly!!

Patti - You're right; if fact one of the boys on his team got knocked out the week before and has a rather bad concussion. eek!! Wrestling and coursing do have quite a few similarities I'd never considered. Both last all day with very little actual "playing time" per participant. During that "playing time," I always hold my breath and hope everyone stays safe and has fun. Also, rolling around on the ground wrestling comes as naturally to boys as running does to our dogs.