Monday, December 22, 2008

Weekend in Review


First of all, I learned that one of my loved ones has an addiction. It’s serious and I think he needs real help. I’ve never dealt with substance abuse before and had hoped I’d never have to go down this path.

Now some of this problem is my fault. I brought the offending substance into the house and I encouraged some moderate use. What I didn’t know was that the problem would get so out of hand.

Nick is really and truly addicted to marshmallows and I think Wheeler is his enabler. You see, Wheeler likes munching on mushies too, and has been making regular trips to the pantry to sneak a sweet treat. Apparently, he’s also been sharing with Nick. For the record, Rosie still thinks they’re disgusting and is holding out for liver treats. She takes the mushie in her mouth, I guess because Nick seems so excited about them, but she spits it out every time.

The irritating part about it is that now, every time anyone opens the panty door, Nick rushes over and starts bouncing around. Not exactly behavior I want to encourage. Wheeler on the other hand is unrepentant and continues to share.

In other news, we finally got our Christmas tree decorated. I know, I know, we’re very late on the draw this year. We’ll leave it up though until the 12th day of Christmas though. I must admit, now that it’s done, I’m glad. This is Nick’s first Christmas, and I can see the wheels turning. He’s filed this one under “people really are crazy.” He’s wants to know why, if we go to the trouble to bring a big bush in the house, he can’t use it as a potty, especially since it’s so cold outside. Rosie, on the other hand, is probably encouraging him to water the tree figuring that any misbehavior on his part will make her look more like an angel.

7 comments:

Poolie said...

Do they have a seven step program for that?

Our kids love the mini-mushies. I toss them and they snatch the little yummies out of the air. Well, Garth and Drew do. Handy just lets them bounce off her nose and gets them off the floor.

Patti said...

Too funny. Mine are addicted, too. You should try making them a batch of homemade mushies. Even Sugar has regained her love for the things. I think even more so than before!! :)

When I open the container, they know it and they aren't happy with just one each!!

Denise- LessIsMore17 said...

Nice tree! We didn't do one this year:-x Bahumbug or however you spell it.
Perhaps you need to schedule an intervention, I'm sure NSNG would be available to help ;-)

Alex said...

I thank you and Patti for the information, I did not know that greyhounds loved "mushies" until I read your blogs. For some reason this highly important information was missing from my adoption packet. Though, I have to say that Hero reacts the same way for the store bought marshmallows as ANY other treat (I haven't tried making homemade ones yet). Pepsi our shelter- beagle/terrier mix will eat them when they are offered, but it is EXTREMELY obvious that it is simply to keep Hero from getting it.
Great tree.
Merry Christmas.

Zan said...

Poolie - We're looking into an appropriate program for Nick - he's requested an outpatient plan. Problem with that is I don't have a way of separating him from his enabler.

Patti- Maybe I'll try making some. I'm afraid they wouldn't last long though considering Wheeler has thumbs...

Denise- You think NSNG could figure out a way to control a 15 yo boy with thumbs and his own mushie addiction? Maybe I need a lock for the pantry LOL!

Alex- I really think the mushie love is a GH thing. My Pharaoh Hound clearly thinks they're disgusting. she all but spits them across the room though she will take them initially - probably to spite Nick - LOL!

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

I say no marshmellows for Wheeler :-).

Jen

Stowe and Maria said...

I will have to try the mushies. The fosters will probably love them. Maybe that will calm them down...not!