Friday, October 24, 2008

Can't I Just Take a Walk in the Park???


Ok, I’m not usually a complainer, but I’ll be really glad when this election is over. I’m older that I care to admit and have lived though more presidential elections than I want to fess up to, but I don’t remember people being as emotional about their choice before. Now I fall solidly into the independent, middle of the road camp, and won’t reveal which candidate will receive my vote here. I don’t want to argue about it. I’m tired of being accosted while going about my day to day life by random strangers badgering me about the subject. There is one woman in particular who started showing up at the park where I walk the pups about a month ago. The first time I saw her we had the following exchange (I’m paraphrasing as I didn’t record the conversation at the time)

Random Jogger: “Someone with such beautiful dogs is bound to be a democrat right.”

Me: “I don’t discuss politics with random strangers in the park.”

Random Jogger: “You can’t vote for McCain. He hates women and will overturn Roe vs. Wade”

Me: “I don’t discuss politics with random strangers in the park.”

Random Jogger: “That must mean you’re voting for McCain. He wants to let babies die in our country because their parents can't afford health insurance. Obama is the clear choice for right thinking, intelligent people.”

Me: “I don’t discuss politics with random strangers in the park.”

Now after that, she jogged off and attached herself to another lone woman walking. I’m sure she intended a similar conversation. I was annoyed (OK pissed off) that this woman had disturbed me during my walk. It’s the only time in my day that is mine. I like to clear my mind and think about nothing while I walk. Now don’t get me wrong, I have my morning walking buddies that I see most every day. We speak, some of them pet and admire my dogs. I pet and admire their dogs if they have them, speak to their babies in strollers, etc. I’m not ant- social. I just don’t want to engage in a political debate with someone with extreme views on either candidate during my morning meditation/walking time. Truly though, about a minute after she left, I’d forgotten all about her.

That is until I bumped into her again a couple of mornings later. Similar conversation – slightly different versions of why John McCain is the anti-Christ and I’m a complete fool if I even consider voting for him. To sum things up, I’ve run into her five or six times in the last several weeks. Yesterday I finally, very abruptly, told her to leave me the heck alone. Hopefully she will.

Now she’s not the only evidence that emotions are running higher in this campaign than most. One of my closest friends has told me that I’m an idiot if I don’t vote for the candidate of her choice. She thinks we need real change in this country and there’s only one way to get it. Just about everyone seems to have firm views as to who they support. That’s fine – I have no problem with that. I do have a problem with the I’m right and anyone who doesn’t agree with me is an idiot attitude, and I’ve seen it from supporters of both candidates. I have a right to my opinion, and you have I right to yours. I may not agree with it. In fact, I may stridently disagree. I don’t even mind discussing it. Real debate on the issues can be helpful and interesting. Name calling is hurtful and polarizing. I just don’t see the point.

Ok rant over!!

6 comments:

Addie said...

I couldn't agree more! Emotions are running so high, it's very hard to have a rational discussion with anyone. I can remember previous elections where you COULD talk about it without someone having a psycho-billy freak-out.

I'm totally over this election season...maybe in part because it's been going on for what, 18 months now? I think that an election cycle that takes longer than the human gestation period is ridiculous.

Addie

KF-in-Georgia said...

I think stress over the economy (the Dow has fallen a bunch again today) is making people so much more anxious over this election. If the financial situation were more secure, people would be less stressed about the election. But folks who have watched their investments wither are banking on a new President being able to fix everything.

I don't think anyone can bring that sort of turnaround, so I just fret over the economy and cringe about the politics without getting rabid about them. And, fortunately, so many people I know are intimidated by the high feelings that they're keeping their politics to themselves. Hurray!

Tell people you voted early--it's done and over with and arguments with you are a waste of time. And who you voted for is your business, not theirs.

Debbie (Emma's mom) said...

I'm with you...I want my walks in the park to be peaceful and pleasurable. After all, the taxes we pay help maintain those parks for all of us to enjoy. ;-) I think KF made a good point...tell them you've already cast your vote.

Zan said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one. You know I kind of miss being able to talk about issues. Debate is good - position bashing is bad. I know it's fear / financial stress talking in most cases, but good grief!

Good idea. I already voted.

Zan said...

Wish I'd thought of that Jen - LOL!! I think she got the message though when I was extremely short with her the other day. I just got back from my walk and passed her. She ignored me, but was haranguing another walker.

Heather said...

I personally cannot wait to stop being exposed to ignorant people who think they know politics because they watched Jon Stewart last night or because they simply believed the latest attack ad.

I want to puke every time I see one of those stupid shirts "I'm voting for the old guy and the hot chick."

I'm so over it. Let's just go play with our dogs. Good to see you this weekend.