Friday, October 3, 2008

I'm a Little Concerned About Nick...Warning Graphic Poo Discriptions - Skip Post if Easily Grossed Out

Nick will celebrate his four week anniversary at my house on Saturday. We have been struggling with pudding poo ever since he got here. Also, he has been steadily losing weight. When we adopted him, he weighted 68 lbs. on the scale at the adoption kennel. The following Thursday, I took him to my vet where he weighed in at 63 lbs. I had them check the weight twice, but in the end chalked it up to the difference in scales and was unconcerned at the time. Also, his racing weight was 61 pounds, but his racing records show that he weighed about 66 when he ran 17 of his 22 total races. Why was his official reported weight lower – I don’t know. Anyway, he was ribby when I got him and didn't look overweight; he look just about right. I wasn’t initially worried about the pudding poo either, assuming it was caused by all the upheaval in his life. We also started treating itchy inflamed ears at the first vet visit. They weren't horrible, but you could definitely smell them and he was scratching at them.

I’ve fasted him for 24 hours twice and started him back on a rice/boiled ground beef mixture. Both times his poo has firmed up, but deteriorates when regular food is added. I’ve also been giving him canned pumpkin and plain yogurt every day. Sometimes I get reasonably formed poo, and sometimes I get liquid. Also, he looked like he was losing weight – so off to the vet we went again yesterday. He weighed in at 59 pounds. Now I’m getting worried. Also, his ears are still bothering him.

I feed my dogs raw meaty bones in the evening and a veggie/ground beef mixture for breakfast. Nick has never really worked up to the ground meat mixture. I’m feeding him a ton in a effort to get him to gain a little weight, way more than twice what Rosie, at 38 pounds gets and more than either Speedy or Sugar ever ate. Nick’s not a picky eater and relishes his meals. He loves to eat. I don’t think further upping calories is going to help. My vet suggested worming, metronidazole, and a prescription diet. I bought a bag of the food, and fed it last night and this morning. I’m not a big fan of prescription diets though and am kind of scared to read the ingredients. In any event, she’s not suggesting it for life. We also started him on another ear drop to try to clear up the ear inflammation.

I can’t tell how he feels, but on the surface he doesn't seem sick. He gets excited at meal times and when we come home. He likes to be loved on, but he doesn’t enthusiastically jump in the car when it’s time to go to the park for a walk. He often tries to stop to pee or sniff when we walk. Don’t know if he’s tired or if he’s just trying to walk me. He hasn’t won at this – it’s my walk and I let him come along :-)! The fact is, I haven’t had him long enough to really know him and how he acts when he doesn’t feel well. Don't picture a poor sick mopey dog though. He appears happy and engaged in our household.

Bottom, line – I’m more worried about the rapid weight loss than the pudding poo, but since they are likely related we need to address both issues. I’m hoping that the only problem is some worms and intestinal upset associated with the recent upheaval in his life. I'm likely just being a worry wart, and he will be fine in a few days. I'm open to suggestions though.

6 comments:

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

I would worm him thoroughly... don't even bother doing a fecal float. Just worm him. I would do a round of metrodrazole (msp?). I would add a quality digestive enzyme to his food.

Jen

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

What sorts of RMBs are you feeding?

Jen

Zan said...

Thanks Jen- He's being wormed with Pancur (started last night) and he is getting metronidazole. She also gave me some centrine (sp) to give as needed. Digestive enzymes are a great idea. When I read your comment, I had a duh moment. Can't believe I didn't think of it. I started him on turkey necks thinking that the low fat content would be best. He has gotten some chicken backs as well, but I've been taking most of the skin/fat off before feeding. If I did that with Rosie, we'd have the opposite problem. My thinking was to get the runs under control b4 adding veggies and other supps. BTW, read the contents on the Purina EN food from the vet, first four ingredients - Brewer's Yeast, corn gluten meal, whole grain corn, chicken meal. I'm not loving it and am not sure I'm going to give him any more of it as I think it sounds pretty bad even as compared to other kibbles.

Zan said...

Oh BTW, he loves his RMB and gave me "the look" last night when I served up a heaping bowl of kibble.

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

I think you are on the right track about turkey necks and removing the big chunks of fat off the backs. Just know that they will be lower calories than just regular chicken backs.

I also think they sometimes look thrifty and thin there for awhile... and then all of a sudden they pack on the pounds and you have to back off.

Personally, I'd keep working on the raw food and skip the prescription (crap) kibble.

I have had some of the same issues with Reagan although I think most of her issues has to do with all of the training food.

Jen

Zan said...

I think you're right about ditching the prescription kibble. I feel like I'm feeding him a ton, but maybe between being wormed, some digestive enzymes, and upping the victuals a little more we can get the runs under control and put on a pound or two.

Don't get me wrong, I still want to see a rib or two, just not the whole skeleton :-)!