Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Bad Mommy... Good Dog!!!

Yesterday morning I set out for my daily walk with Nick and Rosie. We walk almost every day on one of the trails by the river. There are some great trails both just inside and just outside 285 in Atlanta that are very lightly used – a great thing in a city of our size. First order of business is always a potty break for the beasts – I hate carrying poop bags after they are filled and prefer my pups to take care of business before we start.

Yesterday, just as I was leaning over to recover Nick’s deposit, Rosie saw a squirrel and bolted toward it. I don’t know how exactly it happened, apparently I didn’t have the leash properly secured. The bottom line was, I wasn’t paying close attention. Off she went into the woods after the squirrel dragging her leash behind her. It’s amazing what goes through you mind as you see your dog’s butt disappearing up a hill through the woods. There are so many squirrels and other things to chase out there, I imagined her running forever tracking first one critter and then another until she thoroughly lost herself. There have also be reports of coyotes in the area. Something else to worry about.

The first thing that came out of my mouth was, “Rosie, leave it!” At that, she whipped around and looked at me. I couldn’t believe it, she broke off from chasing a squirrel and actually listened to me. I’m more confident of her sit/stay than I am her recall, although we’ve worked on both. She came to me with some leash aggression issues, so for quite awhile, every time we passed another dog I asked her to sit and stay until the other dog passed. I still do at times if the other dog looks like it might bark and lunge at her or if there a bunch of dogs coming toward us at one time. That way, I can get between her and the dog(s) and make her feel safe and under control.

Anyway, I asked her to sit and stay. Amazingly, she did, and Nick and I walked into the woods and got her. After lots and lots of treats, we went for our walk. I’m not sure I needed one at that point as my heart rate was already way up. I was very proud of my girl. She did what I asked when I asked it just when I most needed her to do so. Next order of business – more recall proofing so next time I don’t have to hike off trail. She actually would most likely have come this time if I’d called her. I just felt safer with her butt on the ground and her eyes on me.

Jen, if you’re reading this, thanks for all the training tips over the years. Your example and tips really saved my bacon yesterday.

6 comments:

Stephen said...

Awesome, awesome, awesome!!! Rock-solid recalls are truly invaluable!

Unknown said...

I know you can't see me Rosie, but I am applauding you from my sofa. Good girl! Good mom too for teaching her such wonderful things.

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

I'm so proud and pleased that not only do you train your hounds, but you carry treats with you! That is a fine example of your dog performing exactly the way you wanted her to AND when it mattered most.... its important to be ready to reward for such occasions. Awesome! Glad the tips have helped over the years.

Jen

Denise- LessIsMore17 said...

Great story and what fast thinking on your part! Good dog indeed, but I def' wouldn't call you a bad mommy!
While I was walking today (Limo can sometimes get me confused on who's leash is who's)I looked down and saw that I didn't have Nut's loop part of the leash around my wrist/ hand, it was just in my hands- that could have been a very bad thing:-p

Addie said...

Zan, you're by no means a bad Mommuy, on the contrary, you've done just the right thing by teaching those recalls and having those treats ready. Having someone furry get loose is something that could happen to anyone, which is why it's so important.

Rosie is a very, very good girl!

This is a good reminder to get out there and proof those recalls.

Great story with a happy ending!

Addie

Heather said...

That is AWESOME! Even more impressive was your quick response! You deserve lots of treats too :)