Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Science Project...

My life of late has been consumed by Wheeler’s science project. Why, you ask, is my 9th grader’s science project consuming my life? Because it’s a group project and he can’t drive himself to his friends house or on the multiple trips to the hardware store necessary to acquire the parts to build the small steam engine he’s trying to construct. Also, even if they work at my house, I’m reluctant to leave two or three teenage boys alone in my house building said steam engine. The explosive potential is real, and I don’t know if my homeowners insurance covers damage caused by the explosion of a home built steam engine boiler. Since 14 year old boys don’t always use common sense, I feel the need to stay relatively close by to monitor progress.

Did I mention that I hate group projects! Teachers think that they are a wonderful way to teach kids the skills that they will someday need in the workplace. Obviously they have never tried to find enough time for three boys, who all have other school work, sports, family commitments etc to get together at night and on the weekend for long enough to plan and construct the project du jour. Realistically, they aren’t going to build a steam engine, or anything like it, in one afternoon, so it really is a scheduling nightmare and ends up being a pain in mom's rump. Not to mention that I’ve had various sizes of duct taped up cans with copper tubing sticking out scattered around my kitchen for weeks.

Hopefully, one of the prototypes built over the week-end will work. Wheeler plans a test run tonight as he thinks the silicone caulk that’s supposed to hold the thing together will be dry enough by then. Here’s hoping it works – and my house doesn’t blow up.!!

4 comments:

Addie said...

Oh Zan, I feel for you on this one. In the past 8 years, we've been a part of the construction of a Mag-Lev train, the execution of an experiment on the effects of sleep deprivation on reflexes, and the creation of a multi-media presentation on the contents of the canopic jars used in mummification, and several other annoying projects.

It sucks, and it's more work for the parent than the kids. Not to mention that there's always one deadbeat kid in the group who doesn't pull his or her weight. Not to mention that they usually want the accompanying paper in MLA format so SOMEBODY has to review it a million times.

It sucks. Seriously. I'm so with you on this one.

Addie

PS - I forget to mention the 1:16 scale model of the Colloseum. Nothing like teenagers using box cutters on the dining table to make those buns clench. UGH!

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

Oh, I hated group projects!!! I was always one of those that did all the work.

Jen

Heather said...

i'm with jen. all group projects teach kids is that the hardest worker or the smartest kid will do all the work and the rest of the slackers will get the same amount of credit. i guess it does prepare you for the real word - it works the exact same way there too!

Zan said...

Addie, I'm glad I'm not the only one with project rage - box cutters on the dining room table ackk!! I keep thinking that as he gets older these projects will go away (especially the craftsy ones that require massive hands on time by a group of kids), but I guess not :-(!

Jen and Heather - I hated the as a kid too for the same reason as you did and I think Wheeler is learning the same lesson.