Thursday, November 20, 2008

Six More Things....


Addie tagged me with a new Meme. The idea is to think of the six things you would change if money was no object. This one has really made me put on my thinking cap. The first things that came to mind were things I would buy, and don’t get me wrong, we could definitely use lot of things that plenty of money could buy. Next, I started thinking about what I could do to make me feel good inside. So here goes.

1. I’d set up a college fund for my nieces and nephew and so they could go to any school in the world without worrying about money. I’d also beef up Wheeler’s. Though we’ve been stashing cash for his school since he was born, tuition has gone up faster than inflation and even with the money we’ve saved he’ll have to consider cost and scholarship money (keep those grades up kid) when the time comes.

2. I’d set up a charitable trust with trustees to administer it to which I could refer folks with hard luck stories. You know, the ones that you hear about on the evening news – firefighter dad killed in the line of duty leaving wife and baby with life threatening disease. When I hear those stories, I always wish I could help. With a trust in place, if the story checked out, I could. The trust would have significant funds dedicated to animal rescue too.

3. My first thought on the home front was to move. Get rid of my 60’s ranch style house and move up in the world. But I basically like my house, and with just the three of us we don’t need any more room. I’d do all the fixing up we’ve put off (like get rid of the 60’s paneling in the basement) and call a real landscape company to fix the yard so it works for human’s and dogs.

4. I’d look for a piece of land with acreage where I could build a house to move to after Wheeler graduates from high school. Then, the location wouldn’t matter to us and I could have all the dogs I want – and maybe even a horse.

5. I’d hire a full time cook and maid. It’s no secret that I hate house work. Trust me, one visit to my house and you know that I’m not a neat freak. I’m also not the best cook. Oh I kind of like making special meals and trying new dishes. In fact, before I had a family to cook for every day, I would have said I enjoyed cooking. But coming up with dinner ever night is wearing especially hearing “Oh mom, are we having chicken again?”

6. Last, but certainly not least, I’d plan, and execute, lots of trips. I defiantly suffer from wander lust and there’s pretty much nowhere in the world (absent places where bullets fly regularly) that I don’t want to visit.


So there you go. Now you know my self-serving desires should some long lost and currently unknown relative pass on and leave me untold millions. And now to pass this game along, I tag Heather, Patti, and Denise. What six things would you change if money was no object?


3 comments:

Alex said...

Hi,
Unlike Addie's "6 things people don't know about me"- meme

(wow, that's pretty much typed stuttering right there, either that or warming up the vocal chords me,me,me,me- (sorry, I am easily distracted)

Anyway, like I was saying, unlike that meme, where the answers were unlikely to be similar, I was struck by how we all seem to be pretty much like minded on this one.
On a side note- Glad you found my blog. I hope you'll stay a while.

Addie said...

Zan, I love the idea of the trust for hard-luck stories. You're just brilliant, and I hope you won't mind if I take the idea upon my eventual/inevitable lottery win. :-)

By the way, I also love that crazy crystal skull full of dollar signs...kookily appropriate!

Thanks for playing!

Addie

Zan said...

Alex, you're right, it seems we all want very similar things - help our friends and family and move to the country (where we can have all the critters we want). Staff also seems to be a prevailing theme. Now to go buy that lottery ticket. I know I'm going to win this time!

Addie - fell free to use the trust idea. I just hate saying no to people with a hard luck story even if I think they're trying to scam me, so the trust makes someone else the cop. I liked the weird skull pic too. It's amazing what you can google up on Al Gore's internet.